Heads up – Mother’s Day is coming around again (on the 8th of May), and you know what that means. It’s time to put on your thinking cap, open a Google search tab and start looking for the perfect way to spoil the First Lady in your life. Or… you could just read through our curated list of things to do for Mother’s Day.
We’ve done the hard work for you by rounding up our personal favourite picks of experiences, restaurants and adventures around Mzanzi that are sure to delight and impress mom on her special day.
She did a great job of raising you. Now you can do a great job of showing her how much you appreciate it.
Mother’s Day things to do with the foodie mom
Just because your mom likes to eat, doesn’t mean she wants the same breakfast in bed every Mother’s Day. Treat her (and her tastebuds) to a fine dining experience, craft beer tasting or nostalgia-inducing dessert at any of the following restaurants and estates. She’ll love you for it!
In Cape Town:
- Widely considered the culinary capital of South Africa, Cape Town never disappoints when it comes to trendy spots to grab a bite.
- Your wine-loving mom will love a visit to Jonkershuis in Constantia, where the two of you can indulge in a laid-back lunch while gazing out over some of the oldest vineyards in the country.
- For the mom who prefers a pilsner over a cabernet, Darling Brew Woodstock offers a delightful craft beer tasting that pairs excellently with any of the gourmet burgers on their menu (good luck choosing one!).
- Finally, local favourite A Touch of Madness in Observatory is the spot to be if your mom likes a quirky atmosphere, a little bit of artistic flair and a colourful cocktail menu.
- There’s just something about ice cream that has the power to awaken memories of childhood happiness. Share a moment of blissful nostalgia with your mom at Forest Gelato in Braamfontein as you indulge in one of their seasonal ice creams, gelatos, sorbets or granitas.
- Looking for a more substantial bite? Take mom down to The Rusty Lady Bistro, located on the culturally rich Queen Street in Kensington, for a moreish burger and a milkshake.
- For those seeking a more sophisticated venue, Parc Fermé in Sandton offers a contemporary African-inspired menu paired with a superb wine selection and top-class service. Your mom will be treated like the queen that she is.
- Bet you didn’t think “getting baked” with your mom on Mother’s Day was a real option, but one visit to Dough Girl in Berea will change your mind (and yes, “Get Baked” really is their slogan). There, you’ll find an array of tasty treats, all baked fresh daily, to satisfy your pastry cravings.
- For a more homey, nostalgic experience, you can take mom for coffee and a slice of good old-fashioned pyramid cake at Country Bake in Musgrave, where the service is as sweet as the bakes on offer.
- Looking for a more vibey option for the young-at-heart mom? Try Cappello Umhlanga, where you can enjoy live local beats and an Italian-inspired feast.
What to do for Mother’s Day with your spa-loving mom
For the mom who just wants to relax and be pampered on Mother’s Day, nothing comes close to a spa experience. Show her how much you love her by booking her a luxe manicure or massage to melt her cares away. Bonus – with these great 2-for-1 deals, you can afford to spoil yourself a little too!
In Cape Town:
- When it comes to hair and beauty, Excentric Hair in Gardens is the local first choice – and with good reason. Show mom just how much you love her by booking her for a luxurious full gel manicure and pedicure, and know that the exceptional beauticians at Excentric will treat her like royalty.
- Looking for a more immersive experience? Take a road trip to Arniston and treat your mom to a relaxing hot stone massage at Ginkgo Spa, or spend a day in the Winelands at Silver Forest Boutique Lodge and Spa, where your 60-minute massage will be rounded off perfectly with a complimentary 2-course meal at The Eatery.
- If you believe that change is as good as a holiday, then one visit to BLo Hairdressing Salon in Parktown North will have your mom feeling like she just got back from a luxury cruise. Treat her to a new look when you book her for a haircut and blowdry – she’ll love you for being so thoughtful!
- Got a mom with a lot on her mind? Help her to ease those worries with a relaxing Thai massage at Laharve Beauty Hub in Craighall Park.
- Alternatively, you could give her the opportunity to experience true serenity in the calming oasis that is the Riverview Spa in Muldersdrift. Here, she can enjoy a full body massage while drinking in views of unspoiled nature in the Kromdraai Conservation Area. Hmm… bliss!
- Our moms are always putting others before themselves. That’s why Mother’s Day is a great opportunity to show your mom how much you care by giving her a gift she would never think of getting for herself.
- At La Vita Spa in Umhlanga, you can treat your mom to a 50-minute full body aromatherapy massage that is sure to brighten up her day.
- Alternatively, you can make sure that she looks perfectly polished with a manicure-pedicure combo from Hello Dolly in Westville.
- For a completely new look (and the confidence to match!), why not spoil her with a full colour, haircut and blowdry from JR Hair Design in Umhlanga? She’s guaranteed to leave the salon chair feeling like a million bucks.
Mother’s Day things to do with an adventurous mom
Your mom doesn’t want flowers and chocolates on Mother’s Day – she’d much rather get her hands dirty or head into the great outdoors to make memories with you (her favourite child). Treat her to an adventure she won’t forget anytime soon when you pick from one of the following suggestions:
In Cape Town:
- Got a mom that’s up for anything, as long as it’s new and fun? Then she’ll love a belly dancing lesson from Surika Oriental Dance in Claremont on Mother’s Day. You should join in too – as long as you go with the flow and don’t take yourself too seriously, you’ll soon be making memories together that will last a lifetime.
- Alternatively, you could treat your water-loving mom to the ultimate ocean experience when you take advantage of the 2-for-1 deals at Cape Town Surfing in Hout Bay. Book a private surfing lesson and you’re sure to have a grand saltwater adventure.
- If “fearless” is the word that comes to mind when you think about your mom, then you know she’ll enjoy a day out at Acrobranch Adventure Park in Melrose more than any Mother’s Day brunch.
- For the creative mom (who no doubt did tons of crafts with you when you were a kid , Art Jamming JHB is the ideal space to get in touch with her artistic side and create a unique souvenir that will remind her how much you love her every time she sees it.
- Of course, if you want to make this Mother’s Day truly unforgettable, nothing says “wow factor” like an introductory flying lesson from African Skyline in Germiston. Thank mom for always being the wind under your wings by giving her an opportunity to soar on her own!
- Remember when your mom taught you how to ride a bike? Revisit that happy memory (and make a few more) with a bike ride along the esplanade, thanks to bike rentals from Xpression on the Beach in Addington Beach.
- For the mom who prefers a more adrenaline-fuelled activity, there’s no bigger thrill than diving with sharks, thanks to ScubaCo Diving and Travel in Umkomaas.
- Prefer your adventures on dry land? Try Impact Adventure Africa in Hartbeespoort for abseiling and rock climbing experiences that your mom will remember for years to come.
Our list has some great suggestions on it – but so does the Entertainer app! If you’re not seeing the perfect activity for your one-of-a-kind mother on this list, feel free to hop onto the app and explore the vast variety of options available. You’re guaranteed to find something amazing to do together!