Looking for original, not-boring, wallet-friendly things to do on Fathers Day? Then
look no further – the Entertainer has got your back!
Dad, Pops, tata, pa… there are many words to describe the man who raised you, but only one
day a year is dedicated to celebrating his awesomeness. That day is Father’s Day, and it’s coming
around on the 19th of June. Although traditionally Father’s Day has been synonymous with
breakfast in bed and gifts of aftershave, socks and underwear, we at the Entertainer believe that
there are better ways to show dad some love. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you this
year by compiling a fail-proof list of outings, gifts and activities that will appeal to every kind of
dad – from the fitness fanatic to the craft beer enthusiast.
Whether you’re based in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Durban, you’ll find dad-approved
Father’s Day spoils on our list that shouts “thank you for raising me!” without doing too much
damage to your wallet in the process.
What can I do on Father’s Day in Cape Town?
- If your pops can’t start his morning without a strong cup of coffee, then he’ll love an
outing to Bean Authentic in Monte Vista. Take him on a different kind of shopping spree –
one where he gets to pick and choose his own coffee beans – and get a 25% discount on
your final bill. Father’s Day gift = sorted!
- Got fond memories of your first beer with dad? Relive them (and make a few new ones!)
when you take in a beer tasting at Ukhamba Beerworx at the V&A Waterfront or the
Darling Brew Tasteroom in Woodstock. With 2-for-1 beer tasting deals at both venues,
you’ll even have enough cash left over to buy dad a 6-pack of his favourite brew to take
- For dads who would choose a hearty burger over breakfast in bed any day, Cape Town offers a plethora of top-notch burger joints. Our current faves are the Robin Hood Burger and Grill in Gardens and the NOB in Bellville. Pull in for 2-for-1 burger deals and make dad’s day!
- Of course, Cape Town is also the place to be if your dad loves adventures on the water. Skip the socks and ties and treat your fun-loving dad to a saltwater experience he’ll never forget. Take 30% off a kayaking experience when you book through Kayak Wild at the V&A Waterfront or take advantage of the epic 2-for-1 deal on a one-hour schooner sailing experience aboard the twin-masted Esperance Sailing Schooner.
- Has your dad been looking to take a few strokes off his golf game? Then he’ll really
benefit from the 2-for-1 deal offered by Lloyd Pollington Golf in Milnerton. The two of you
will participate in an intensive 60-minute golfing lesson before setting off to play 9 holes
in the company of a PGA pro. Now that’s a great way to put theory into practice and
have fun at the same time!
What can I do on Father’s Day in Johannesburg?
- Is your dad a nutrition or fitness fanatic? If so, then he’ll find everything his sports-loving
heart desires at Nitro Health and Nutrition in Boksburg. Let him fill his basket with the
latest in performance-enhancing equipment, supplements and gear and take 25% off
your total bill at checkout.
- When it’s time to knock back a cold one in Joburg, you can’t go wrong with the 2-for-1
craft beer deal at Cattleman’s Kitchen in Muldersdrift. The on-site microbrewery
produces a host of innovative brews, including the popular Pinzgauer Pilsner and an
alcoholic ginger beer known as the Ginger Viking.
- Locals swear that Taphouse Parkhurst serves the best burgers that Jozi has to offer.
Combine these with a lively atmosphere, a generous selection of craft beers on tap and
a wallet-friendly 2-for-1 deal, and you have the makings of a Father’s Day lunch that dad
will remember for years to come.
- Think you need to be in a coastal city to get wet and wild? Think again! Set on the Vaal
River, Earth Adventures offers 2-for-1 white water rafting deals that are sure to get your
dad’s adrenaline pumping. Prepare to have the time of your life – and get soaked from
head to toe in the process!
- If your dad is keen on adventure, but not so sure about getting his feet wet, then he’ll
enjoy the range of activities on offer at REAL Adventures in Parys. With 2-for-1 deals on
both paintball target shooting and 3D archery, you might find yourself stuck for choice.
Our recommendation, of course, is that you and dad make a day of it and try both!
What can I do on Father’s Day in Durban?
- Some dads are happy with soap-on-a-rope… and other dads won’t leave the house
without a spritz of their signature designer scent. If your dad is the latter, then we’ve got
the ultimate Father’s Day gift idea for you! Introduce your dad to Homage Fragrances in
Durban and let him take his pick from the curated selection of fine fragrances, each
inspired by household names such as Calvin Klein, Diesel and Hugo Boss. The best part
is that with our discount code, you stand to save as much as R378 on a gift you know
- Does pub grub and an ice-cold beer sound like your dad’s lunch of choice? Then Jackie
Horner Pub and Restaurant in Glenwood is where you need to be this Father’s Day. If
the 2-for-1 beer special isn’t enough to sway you, then the menu certainly will: it features
hearty favourites like beer-battered hake and chips, burgers and homemade pies.
- Picture this: you and your pops using your hands to lift up meat-laden sandwiches so big
that you can barely bite them, all while barbeque sauce runs down to your elbows. If this
sounds like the best Father’s Day outing ever, then The Pit BBQ in Umhlanga is the spot
for you. Take advantage of their awesome 2-for-1 deals and savour the taste of
Texas-inspired barbeque. Bring on the wet wipes – it’s about to get messy!
- Got an adrenaline junkie for a dad? Then gift him a once-in-a-lifetime experience that
he’ll never forget this Father’s Day: the opportunity to scuba dive with real sharks on an
open reef. No bait, no cages, just up-close interactions with nature’s perfect predator on
their home turf. With 30% off a shark diving experience at ScubaCo Diving & Travel in
Umkomaas, you stand to save as much as R930 while forever cementing your status as
- So your dad saw the Top Gun sequel and came out of the theatre with stars in his eyes.
You know what to do: book that man an introductory flight with African Skyline in Durban,
ASAP! You’ll get 30% off an introductory flight, and your dad will get the chance to
channel his inner Tom Cruise and fly a real aeroplane on Father’s Day.
As we say kudos to the awesome dads in our lives, the Entertainer would also like to
acknowledge and celebrate the non-biological father figures that stepped up and did the most to
be stand-in dads when kids needed them the most. So whether you take out your grandfather,
uncle or stepdad on Father’s Day, remember that anyone can be a father, but it takes a special
someone to be called a daddy.
(and while we think it’s unlikely that you’ll make it to the bottom of our list without finding at least
one activity that your dad will love, you’re also welcome to scroll through the Entertainer app for